Tuesday 4 April 2017

Commonplace

First, I should explain the break in transmission.  This technophobe, in process of writing a post looked up to see that what I had typed was now on the screen in letters two inches high.  If I could touch-type I might have caught it earlier but I was rarely looking at the screen  Anyway, after a couple of weeks of despair - no Guru: too busy - I started to click on this, that and the other and finally discovered how to change the font to one that made more sense.  I have no idea which of the clicks-on brought this about so couldn't do it again no matter what size the Wizard  were to send next time, That having been explained, to business.

A week or so ago a friend lent me a Commonplace Book.  In case one or other of you has not had the pleasure of perusing such a volume let me tell you that it is a collection of sayings, poems and other wordy, audio or pictorial memorabilia thought to be worth anthologising by she/he who subsequently does so  It seemed like a pleasing end-of-term occupation so I thought I'd think of a few for myself. I am not sure I can attribute them all so I am hoping I shan't be at risk of a charge of plagiarism - a heinous fault in my book. About left-over food "Put it in the freezer until you don't feel guilty about throwing it out". (Cousin)  On a  very small 't' shirt "Keep calm and ask Mum".  "The co-operation of factors which are random and fortuitous varies in inverse ratio to the urgency of the need". (A lawyer friend and yours truly.  Eg There are numerous taxis rolling by except when you are late and it is raining chats et chiens).  "Do not despair for Johnny head-in-air, He sleeps as sound as Johnny underground.  Fetch out no shroud for Johnny in the cloud and keep your tears for him in after years.  Better by far for Johnny the bright star to keep your head and see his children fed" ( John Pudney's war poem)  ."Mae Hen wlad fy Nhadau etc"  (Welsh National Anthem). "When with rosy feet the dawn...." (Handel's Theodora)  Lorraine Hunt Lieberson in any shape or form. A voice and presence to make you believe in ultimate alrightness. "Opitimism, as in: A box of three bath-sized, hand-made soap given to she of the terminal illness.   In response to being called "An angel-faced darling" a small child asking if her pet were a "cat-faced darling".  Otherwise known as the cherishable clarity and innocence of the very young.....D.V.   Edith Piaf. "Une |Chambre a Louer" if you have to choose. Music, music, music ad infinitum.  Hope expressed by the French 'suite a la prochaine'.   And,finally - for now-  as goes without saying,, CHOCOLATE (Yours truly)
Bore da  P.S. Piaf's song is actually called "Les Amants D'un Jour"

No comments: